Letter by the Mashgiach of the Chemnitz Yeshiva, Rabbi Naftali Ze'ev Leibowitz, about the Yeshiva, from the Time of the Holocaust
A letter handwritten and signed by "Naftali Ze'ev Leibowitz Mashgiach of the yeshiva now in Vilnius".
Rareness: letters from those hard times, when the Chemnitz Yeshiva was in exile, are extremely rare!
The content of the letter: confirmation of receiving funds for the Chemnitz Yeshiva now in Vilnius. Yiddish.
The date: January 3, 1940. The letter was written when the yeshiva escaped occupied Chemnitz to Vilnius. During that time, the yeshiva needed special funds to support its students, who continued to study despite the horrible circumstances.
The letter is written on the official stationery of the yeshiva, "The great yeshiva Knesset beit Yitzchak, established in Slabodka, now in Chemnitz of Lithuania". On the upper left side, the address is printed – the address of Rabbi Naftali Leibowitz.
Rabbi Naftali Ze'ev Leibowitz was a disciple of the "Alter of Slabodka" and the son-in-law of Rabbi Avraham Yitzchak Zimerman. Rabbi Naftali served as a Mashgiach and spiritual manager of the Chemnizt Yeshiva which was headed by his brother-in-law, Rabbibaruch Ber Leibowitz. When his brother-in-law travelled to the USA, Rabbi Naftali handled all the matters of the yeshiva.
Rabbi Naftali came to the USA after the Holocaust and established the Chemnitz Yeshiva in New York. He died in 1955. The book 'Degel Naftali' was published in his memory.